Jan 16, 2013

Thoughts on Change

Change is often pondered at this time of the year in many aspects of our lives.  Sports clubs, fitness memberships all have line-ups for new memberships in January, but the line soon peters out early on as the year unfolds.  Our "physical man" needs ongoing maintenance and change to get us over the inevitable tough spots in our physique and health.

Change is necessary in our walk with God.  Although sometimes uncomfortable, we need to have a plan to develop and exersize our "spiritual man", and grow up to what God wants us to be.  To think of this from a biblical perspective, I must realize that  - God is all about change in my life.  John 15 is a solid example using the analogy of the Gardner pruning his prize grape plants:

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. 3You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me."   5“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples".

At ANVIL our leadership team wants you to "be well-pruned" as well.  That's why we're planning to provide the opportunity for you to grow in your walk with God in 2013.  It has been said that God is more concerned with what you are becoming, rather than what you are now!  His change plan is often to move us from small to BIG, from struggling in our faith to maturity, renewing us from inside to the outside; ...to give us more of Himself and set us free from the things that hold us back in worship and following after Him!  It begins with the first step in the right direction...think about that for a while.  Not only do we want to encourage you, but more specifically to draw your attention to growth through discipleship.  It's a marathon, not a sprint. 
In the weeks to come, we will be looking at a helpful book by Patrick Morley entitled "Man Alive".  There's more to come on this....so stay tuned for details in the next while and plan to be "on-board" with us to be a better disciple of Christ in 2013!  He is not an Ordinary God !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment