Dec 8, 2015

Forgiveness ~ Key to a Clear Conscience

Have YOU asked forgiveness for the things (words, actions, offences) you've done against others?

Ed's Note:
More than 25 years ago, I had the opportunity to join many hundreds of young people in attending several sets of classes on managing life conflicts from a christian viewpoint.  The first level was called the "basic" level, held at Bramalea Baptist Church in Brampton, and some months later I attended the "advanced" classes at The Peoples Church in Toronto with my sweetheart who I later married.  The classes, touched on a myriad of life topics and I both enjoyed and benefited greatly from the information I received at these seminars.  It was the impetus I needed to begin another step or series of steps that helped me get off of the plateau I was on during those years.  I would say that as a result of these classes, my biblical understanding became clearer, and God's voice became louder in those still formative years. My bible seemed to rise from the ashes (so to speak) and I realized it with new eyes for the precise instrument that it is through this passionate course leader.

An interesting feature of the bible that this course focused on, was the fact that God wants us to understand biblical principles that we can incorporate into our lives to gain a heart of wisdom.  It's one thing to read verses....but God wants us to understand His PRINCIPLES so that we can live life to our full potential and have our character transformed!  One of the lessons I became aware of and still need much focus on, is the biblical concept of attaining a clear conscience through seeking forgiveness.  I want to share with anyone interested, just a few of the course study notes on this module.  Perhaps there is someone that can benefit from this posting...I know I sure can!  God Bless You.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A Clear Conscience
  • Definition of a Clear Conscience:  A clear conscience involves that inner freedom of spirit toward God and others that comes by knowing that God's Holiness is not offended by one's thought or action, and that no one can point a finger at you and say, "You've offended me, and you've never asked for my forgiveness."
  • A clear conscience is listed in Scripture as one of our most essential weapons for successful spritual achievement.  "...19holding on to faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and so have suffered shipwreck with regard to the faith." ~ 1 Timothy 1:18,19
  • Identifying the Problem (Excusing guilt with blame): The greatest single hindrance to gaining a clear conscience is the feeling that the ones we offended were wrong too! In fact, we often feel that they were mostly wrong.  Our focus on blaming them balances our own guilt and forces us to live with both guilt and blame.

1“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
3“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank (beam) in your own eye?4How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
~ Words of Jesus from Matthew 7







































  • Step 1: The first step in solving conflicts with a particular person is to privately list all the offenses which he has committed against you.  (This is in preparation to follow Matthew 18).
Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”
Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. ~ Matthew 18

  • Step 2: List your own offenses!   It is relatively easy to remember the faults of others, but when it comes to listing our own faults, we may discover a lapse of memory.  To compensate for this difficulty, the following question categories are suggested for you:    
  •  Poor Attitude?  Ungratefulness?  Stubborness?  Untruthfulness?  
      Bitterness?  Laziness?
  • Step 3: Purpose to ask Forgiveness!   This is by far the most difficult step.  It must be done in an attitude of complete sincerity and genuine repentence.
  • A). Identify the basic offenses:  It is important to distinguish between immediate offenses and basic offenses.  They are not always the same.  It does little good to ask forgiveness for a small offense when in reality that offense is only a fractional part of a much greater offense.
  • B). Ask Forgiveness for Basic Offenses:  There are several ways to ask forgiveness which are guaranteed not to work - such as: 

·    " I was wrong, but you were too;" 

·    "...If I was wrong, please forgive me;

·    "I'm sorry;" etc. 
 


  • There is one genuine statement which reflects true sincerity and humility...


“God has convicted me of how wrong I have been in ___________________(state my attitude and actions).  I know I have wronged you in this, and I’ve come to ask, will you forgive me?”



Reflection on the Power of a Clear Conscience:
  1. A sensitive conscience is the mark of a mature christian.
  2. Paul testified to the importance of a clear conscience (Acts 24:16 and 2 Corinthians 1:12)
  3. Paul warned Timothy that next to his faith, a clear conscience was his essential weapon. (1 Timothy 1:18 & 19)
  4. Peter explained why a clear conscience is essential in order to witness.  (1 Peter 3:16)
  5. Even health and physical appearance are affected by the lack of a clear conscience. (Psalm 32:1,3,4)
The Purpose of a Clear Conscience:
  • Boldness to Witness:  "15But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander." ~ 1 Peter 3:15, 16
  • Freedom to Resolve Conflicts: Often the lack of a clear conscience may be the one stumblingblock to the salvation of others in the family.  Clear up past conflicts and make amends to family members!
  • Alertness to Make Wise Decisions: Example:  If you perchance have an accident where a pedestrian or cyclist is struck.  Instantly, you should know you need to get help immediately....NOT FLEE THE ACCIDENT SCENE!  Many situations in life are influenced by the state of our conscience.
  • Power to Overcome Temptation:  Satan uses a defiled conscience to defeat a Christian in ever-larger temptations.  Rarely is the Christian aware of the final "price-tag" on temporary "pleasures" of sin.  The guilt of his transgression becomes Satan's method of blackmail to go deeper and deeper into sin.
  • Ability To Build Genuine Friendships:  The most basic quality needed for friendships is sincere humility.  This is the one quality which is sure to result from gaining a clear conscience.  
At one major point in my life, I made a list of all those who weren't as friendly toward me as they could be.  In each case, I recalled that there was something I had done or neglected to do which accounted for their lack of friendliness.  I had not gone back to any of them sooner because in almost every case, I felt they had wronged me in more serious ways than I had wronged them.  In most cases, I had decided that they were at least 90% wrong!  When God made it clear to me through His Word and the conviction of the Holy Spirit that I should forgive them, forget about their 90% and take care of my 10%, I went back to each one and asked for his forgiveness.
I can honestly say that these are now among my best friends!  When I purposed to make things right with those 17 whom I had wronged, there was one I almost did not get on the list.  I did not plan to ever see him again; and besides, I did not think I was more than 2% wrong.  But I knew he had ill feelings toward me, and I remembered Scripture,  (Jesus words):

“Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift. ~ Matthew 5:23 & 24
~ Words of Jesus

One day he stopped by my house to borrow something.  Before he left, I had the opportunity to talk to him alone and ask his forgiveness.  He not only forgave me but thanked me for asking his forgiveness.  This man became one of my most enthusiastic supporters and through his reports to others, a chain of events occurred which later resulted in gifts of over $30,000. being given to the youth work in which I was involved.


Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy.  ~ Proverbs 28:13






















































No comments:

Post a Comment